Wednesday 14 September 2016

Do I like coding?



I guess it has taken me a while to get stuck in to coding because I wasn't sure if I would really enjoy it or not. I mean, I like the *idea* of coding, making things from scratch, working things out, being logical, and I love video games, so surely I would enjoy coding??? But I wasn't really sure; it just seemed so hard and so daunting.

Do I have a coder in me? Will I be passionate about it? Will I stick it out when things get tough? Will I be able to progress beyond a basic level?

Since I started the Unity course and this blog I have come back to coding with vigour and more of a belief in myself. The Women in Games conference and the people I met there gave me new confidence. So I feel more certain than ever that this is something that I really want to do. And a very long car journey back from the Lake District provided an unexpected answer to the questions above.

Husbandcoder and I started to talk about my latest Unity project, Number Wizard, and some of the extension tasks that had been set by the course tutors. How could I make it so that the computer guessed a random number to start with? How could I make it so that the player did the guessing rather than the computer? Then on to other theoretical prototypes, this time including graphics (which I haven't really done much of before).

We talked about this stuff for hours. At least 5 hours I think. It sure did help pass the time! It challenged me and pushed me further than I had gone before, and all of this was in my head, we didn't write a single thing down. If I can attack these problems head on like this and come up with answers (not all of them right, but each one helped me get there in the end), if I can spend that long solving coding problems, if I can draw on what I have learned and make educated guesses, if I rise to the challenge then I CAN BE A CODER!

I don't just like coding. I think I <3 it.

Mandoid. Developer. Coder. :D

Peace out coderinos!


No comments:

Post a Comment