Thursday 8 September 2016

A little sprinkle of confidence



Yesterday I went to the European Women in Games conference, organised by Women in Games and held at Greenwich University, London.



The night before I told myself that I was going to strong and brave and to talk to anyone and everyone.

I arrived after a horrendously packed tube journey in ugly hot weather, the kind of experience that makes you cry for a little more personal space. Face in an armpit, someone's leather jacket rubbing against my bare, sweaty skin, definitely no seat.

This did not really help to make me feel like a winner. Strong and brave were turning into corner and hide.

So at first I was a little intimidated by all the lovely ladies who seemed to know each other and were all bona fide games people, which I am not. I felt like I shouldn't be there. I started to slip into my usual 'ahhh what's the point' jogging bottoms.

Anyway, THEN THE CONFERENCE STARTED. Almost immediately I was captivated and inspired by what I was hearing. I met so many brilliant people. Received so much excellent advice. Made vital connections.

And most of all I felt confident about what I was doing.

I am meant to be here.
I am a strong, brave woman.
I am a games developer.

Just not an employed one that makes any money.

Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment